BANGLADESHI FOOD, indian food, Indonesia food, meat, Nepali Food, OIL AND GHEE, Pakistani Food, Srilankan Food

Basmati Rice

Best Rice in India

Basmati is long grain aromatic rice grown for many centuries in the specific geographical area, at the Himalayan foothills of the Indian sub-continent, blessed with characteristics extra-long slender grains that elongate at least twice of their original size with a characteristics soft and fluffy texture upon cooking, delicious taste, superior aroma, and distinct flavor, Basmati rice is unique among other aromatic long-grain rice varieties.

Best Rice in India
Basmati rice

Basmati is a variety of long, slender-grained aromatic rice that is traditionally grown in India, Nepal, and Pakistan. As of 2019, India accounted for 65% of the international trade in basmati rice, while Pakistan accounted for the remaining 35%. Many countries use domestically grown basmati rice crops however, basmati is geographically exclusive to certain districts of India and Pakistan.


Basmati rice is typically available in white and brown varieties. White basmati rice is more common, but brown basmati rice can be found at many health food stores. Brown rice is higher in fiber and has a nuttier, more intense flavor with a stiffer texture. It also has a longer cooking time than white rice.

How to Cook With Basmati Rice

Home cooks have different tricks for cooking perfect rice, but a few steps tend to be included every time. Rinse basmati rice until the water runs mostly clear, letting it drain well. A bowl of standard rice to liquid ratio is 1- to 1 1/2. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover tightly, and simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Some recipes call for the rice to be soaked first, making it more tender, but it is not required.

Basmati rice is very popular served with various Indian curries, as the fluffy grains happily sop up sauces. It is also popular for making rice pilaf, a side dish of grains cooked in a flavored stock and aromatics with other ingredients tossed in like nuts. Pilafs probably originated in India but quickly spread and are now common in many parts of the world.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *