Coriander can be considered both a herb and a spice. It is a member of the parsley (Apiaceae) family. The word coriander can be used to define the whole plant: its leaves, stems, seeds, and all. Coriander seeds are round and tannish brown and have a bit of a spicy, citrusy flavor. Coriander is a native plant around the world, including in Europe, Asia, Africa, and America. The coriander spice AKA Dhaniya Powder is the ground form of seeds and is very popular in India. It is one of the customary spices that is used in many savory dishes.
Coriander can easily be considered as one of the oldest spices on record as the seeds have been found in ruins dating back to 5000 B.C. References to coriander can be found in Sanskrit writings, Bible, and Egyptian tombs. Its name comes from the Greek word koris, which means a stink bug. Coriander was one of the first herbs grown by the American colonists of Massachusetts.
Coriander is a very popular spice in the kitchen, and apart from that it also has many incredible health benefits.
- Coriander seeds have antiseptic properties, and so they are quite effective in curing different skin ailments like eczema, itchy skin, rashes, and inflammation.
- Some ancient practices believe that regular usage of coriander can help in maintaining a healthy blood sugar level.
- Coriander seeds are popular in preventing hair fall and invigorating the roots for the development of new healthy hair.
- Coriander seeds have various essential vitamins like folic acid, vitamin A and beta-carotene, and most importantly, vitamin C.
- It can help fighting cold & flu as coriander has a large quantity of Vitamin C in it.
- Coriander seeds contain a compound called Coriandrum, which controls the process of lipid digestion, and brings down our cholesterol levels.
- Coriander seeds have anti-oxidant properties and dietary fibre that promotes the healthy working of the liver and facilitate bowel moments.
- Coriander’s anti-inflammatory properties may safeguard in maintaining heart health and brain health.
- It’s antibacterial and antimicrobial properties can help you build an immune system to protect yourself against food poisoning and foodborne diseases.
- Drinking coriander water every morning can help you achieve a radiant glow, and give you clear, smooth skin.